Tuesday 14 February 2012

BBC Newsnight: Sweetness and Light?


The media text I have chosen that might be considered to provide ‘sweetness and light’ is BBC ‘Newsnight’. This programme provides in-depth analysis of current affairs in not just the UK, but issues happening around the world. The most current episode that was aired 13th February 2012 discusses the Greek riots, sexual abuse in Egypt and ‘The Sun’ newspaper. I feel that this illustrates that Newsnight does not just associate itself with news from the UK.

The BBC was created in order to inform and educate the masses and I feel that ‘Newsnight’ attempts this by discussing current news stories, explaining why they are important and then sparking in-studio debate with panel members. In the social age we live in, viewers are able to contact the studio and get involved in the topical debates by tweeting their opinions followed by ‘#newsnight’.

‘Sweetness and light’ can be found in this text as it is informative, unbiased and encourages debate and discussion. The show first began in 1980 so has always been a part of my culture. This text helps me understand current affairs more in-depth and offers me the opinions of others. I use ‘Newsnight’ as a tool to deciphering news and current affairs stories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment