Friday 3 February 2012

What defines my culture?


I had a really difficult time deciding on a singular media text that I felt accurately defines my culture. When the task was assigned to me so many different and varied ideas ran through my head: albums, radio stations, books, magazines, celebrities. I feel that this in itself proves how much I define myself through the media texts I consume and use them in order to construct my own personal identity.

But after much deliberation, and writing three separate blog entries, I have finally decided that the films of Woody Allen define my culture. My favourites being ‘Annie Hall’, ‘Whatever Works’ and ‘You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger’. For the purpose of this blog post I will be focusing on ‘You Will Meet…’ This is due to the fact that this film is set in London as opposed to many of his other films that relate more to his own life as a Jewish man living in New York. The film was also released in 2010 which is more recent than the other films I have mentioned, for example 'Annie Hall' was released in the 1977 and due to the fact I was born in 1990, 'You Will Meet...' is a much more appropriate choice in media that defines my culture.

Allen’s films appeal to me as I find his films very realistic. To me, they epitomise art imitating real-life. When I first watched ‘Annie Hall’ I adored the fact that it did not follow the typical ‘boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy wins girl back’ structure that most relationship centred films follow. They were a real couple, with real problems.

I also really enjoy the references to films and literature throughout the dialogue of the characters, that are unique to a Woody Allen film. His films have a dark cynicism attached to them, and yet still remain to be classed as comedies. I find this style very refreshing compared to mainstream cinema.

I have always been fascinated by the way people live their lives and the relationships they keep which is why I enjoy Woody Allen’s films so much. In my opinion, when it comes to film making, Allen is in a league of his own. 


No comments:

Post a Comment